Sunday, October 18, 2009

Fourth blog - Health Care

When people think of health care, they think of a certain kind of person, and their views. From the people I've spoken to, there is generally two camps of people.

Camp A believes that if someone can't afford health care it's because they don't want to work to be taken care of, they want to have everything handed to them, etc. The people that Camp A believes embodies all of these things usually fall into Camp B. They usually see themselves as practical, and can usually afford insurance themselves.

Camp B believes that everybody should be taken care of, and given proper care, if they can afford it or not. They believe that even if someone can't afford to pay for an expensive operation, they should be allowed to live. They see Camp A as heartless bureaucrat-fat-cats who care nothing for others. They tend to see themselves often as the victim, and usually can't afford insurance.

Which camp is right? Honestly, I don't believe there is a "right" exactly. Hell, our entire law system is reliant on what the majority believes is right, or true, or constitutional. I might think that Camp B is nothing but freeloading slackers who've never worked an honest day in their life, or that Camp A is filled with apathetic people who only care about themselves. But am I right about either of them?

I do find myself leaning towards Camp B, at least for their outlook on life. A very good friend of mine works as many hours as she can for minimum wage while going to college. She can hardly afford rent and food, and her employer doesn't provide her with any coverage. Is she a slacker? Does she think everything should be handed to her? I think there should be national health care for people like her. Employed, hard working people who want nothing but to be happy.

Looking at this situation from the other side, Camp A, I could say that she should find a job that does have health care. That she should learn skills that can get her a better job, that could get her coverage.

Since everybody thinks differently, there is no universal right or wrong, just what the majority agree is right or wrong. Will national health care get passed? Maybe, maybe not, and it doesn't depend on what's right, but what a majority of congress/house/etc. think. I might think national health care is right, but someone else might think it's wrong, so it all comes down to who has the most votes.

In six months time I could be applauding or sobbing from the outcome of all the health care debate. I might think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread or the worst thing to happen since Pearl Harbor. That is what I think, but what I think doesn't matter, not in today's government.

That is, unless I were to stage an outrageously large rally/protest/demonstration to try and influence policy. In which case, maybe someone should start a preemptive rally to speed things up.

I know there are variations in what people think for/against, but these are the general categories I've come to after speaking to several people and their experiences.




NOTE: This blog was, and still is, late by about two days. Sorry about that! Please don't dock me points!

No comments:

Post a Comment